"Le dimanche a Bukavu c'est le jour du barbecue"

(sur l'air d'Amadou et Mariam)
On Sundays (and Saturdays also), the local sport here is to have a barbecue, usually in a nice garden with friends and gin tonic. The local meat is usually goat (very good indeed) with bananas. The red sauce you see is pilili: it is very spicy. And the grey 'thing' is chikwanga (sounds like the mosquito disease): it's made of manioc and has no taste at all. Soon I will show you another big specialty from here: the foufou !! So yesterday Alex & I went to a barbecue at Pierre: a french guy who spent his entire life planting mines for the French army and who now works at the UN to take them out. We were with Pamela, a friend of Alex from South Africa. As for me, I am already working on my tan ;-)
And bananas can be very big around here.... (as shown by Jaya)



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home